Partnering with Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest
Over the past 60 years, Jesuit Volunteer Corps (JVC) Northwest has placed thousands of talented, energized and well-supported volunteers in agencies providing direct service and advocacy opportunities throughout the Northwest. In 2010, JVC Northwest became an AmeriCorps National Direct Grantee and in 2013 and again in 2016 this status was renewed for an additional three years.
Due to this grant, the majority of Jesuit Volunteers are now also AmeriCorps members. This grant has made it possible for JVC Northwest to go where the need is greatest and to enable our partner agencies to extend their services at a significantly reduced cost.
Partner Agency Requirements
Please review the following important guidelines for our partner agencies before applying for a Jesuit Volunteer (JV)/AmeriCorps member:
- Design opportunities for the JV/AmeriCorps member to spend 40 hours per week working directly with people who are economically poor or marginalized, or working in advocacy positions in the social or ecological justice arenas.
- Provide appropriate orientation and training for the JV/AmeriCorps member to understand the work of the agency and their role within it.
- Supervise the JV directly, including weekly 1-1 meetings throughout the year.
- Comply with AmeriCorps requirements, if an AmeriCorps partner site.
A complete description of all Partner Agency Expectations is available in our 2016-17 Partner Agency Handbook. Please read this handbook carefully before submitting your Partner Agency Application.
Application Timeline Overview
Late November / early December
Agencies wishing to apply for a JV/AmeriCorps member for the following program year must submit an application before or on the application deadline which typically falls on the first Monday after Thanksgiving.
After that date, the Partner Agency selection process begins and agencies are notified of their acceptance by the end of January.
Spring and Summer
The JV/AmeriCorps member screening and placement process takes place from mid-February through July, with service beginning mid-August. The JV/AmeriCorps members complete their service commitment on July 31.Request a Jesuit Volunteer Partner Agency Resources
Partnering with Jesuit Volunteer EnCorps (50+)
Jesuit Volunteer EnCorps (JVE) is a program of JVC Northwest enlisting the experience and skills of women and men ages 50 and older in part-time, meaningful volunteer service to a local non-profit organization. Currently, JV EnCorps Members (JVEs) serve in Portland, OR and the surrounding area. JVEs serve September through June. Some volunteer year-round depending on their availability and the needs of the hosting nonprofit agency.
Which Agencies Fit JV EnCorps Eligibility?
- Agencies directly serving people who are economically poor or working to address the issues and structures impacting poor or marginalized populations.
- Agencies able to provide minimum service requirements to meet the JVE time commitment of five or more hours a week, September – June.
- Agencies able to offer adult volunteers, 50 years and older, meaningful service opportunities and enrichment, including: orientation, supervision, and training that supports the effectiveness of volunteers.
- Agencies able to provide standard liability protection for volunteers.
If your agency’s mission and position descriptions match our criteria, your agency will be placed on our Site Placement List from which JVEs select potential placements. Our office will then notify you if a volunteer wishes to interview your agency for a position. We will contact you at the beginning of each year to update your volunteer position availability for the coming year. Matches typically are made during June and July.
For more information about applying to host a JV EnCorps Member (50+) please call 503.335.8202 or email email@example.com.Host a JV EnCorps Member (50+)