How to Apply
The application is now open for the 2022-23 service year that begins in August. Apply by the first priority deadline on January 11, 2022 for the best chance at a preferred placement.
Got a question along the way? Reach out to our Recruiter.
Zayna Abusada (she/her/hers)
A complete application includes:
- Autobiography essay (2 pages)
- Short answer questions
- Three short reference forms: one Mentor, one Employer/Supervisor, and one Roommate/Peer
The first interview we will be by phone with a former Jesuit Volunteer. This is a chance to share your interests and hopes for a service year, discuss your relationships to our four core values, and offer your perspectives about the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in volunteer spaces.
It is also a time of continued discernment for you. We want you to learn more about what it means to serve with JVC Northwest so you can make an informed decision!
If you are offered conditional acceptance into the program, you will be invited to a short Service Interest conversation with a member of our staff. You’ll share your preferred service placements and discuss why those appeal to you.
Then we will offer you a match with a partner agency and position based on your skills and interests and our partner agencies’ needs.
You will then have a second phone interview, this time with the agency where you are matched. We operate under a “mutual yes” policy, meaning both the partner agency and the volunteer have to agree on the placement following the interview.
Once you are placed, we will complete your background checks and begin the onboarding process to prepare you for Orientation, a week-long introduction to JVC Northwest with your fellow JVs beginning the first week of August.
The first priority deadline to submit an application is January 11, 2022.
Those who apply by January 11 and continue through the interview and matching process can generally expect to follow the timeline below:
- Conduct first interview with JVC Northwest by late January/early February
- Discuss service interests and preferred placements with JVC Northwest staff by mid-February
- Receive potential match with partner agency and conduct partner agency interview by late February
Note: This is a rough timeline and exact dates will vary depending on your candidacy, your availability for interviews, and availability of positions.
All application deadlines for the 2022-23 service year:
- First Priority Deadline: January 11, 2022
- Second Priority Deadline: March 8, 2022
- Third Priority Deadline: April 26, 2022
- Final Deadline: May 31, 2022
JVC Northwest is committed to an equitable and inclusive experience for all volunteers regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, or religious perspective. While rooted in the Jesuit tradition, specific religious views are never imposed on our volunteers or the communities where we serve.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older on August 1, 2022.
- Applicants must be willing to share communal housing with fellow volunteers.
- Applicants must be unmarried with no dependents and we ask that this doesn’t change during the service year.
- Some placements require a specific certification or skill (i.e. Spanish proficiency, nursing certification, etc.).