This week JVC Northwest celebrates national service! March 9-13th, 2015 is a week to highlight the amazing service that gets done by AmeriCorps members across the country. Follow along this week here on the blog as well as with #AmeriCorpsWorks and #IamAmeriCorps on social media and AmeriCorps’ facebook page.
Our history with AmeriCorps: In 2010, JVC Northwest partnered with AmeriCorps to bring over 50 years of experience serving the most vulnerable of the Northwest into the Corporation for National and Community Service’s network. This partnership has enabled JVC Northwest to serve more people through its agencies and expand to five new communities: Grays Harbor and Wenatchee, WA; Hillsboro and Hood River, OR; and St. Xavier, MT.
JVC Northwest currently places members in 24 communities in remote and urban areas across Alaska, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Idaho. JV AmeriCorps members live together in intentional communities, which provide them greater opportunities to share skills, network agencies, and better understand and meet the needs in the towns and cities in which they serve. These members help address local needs including education, health access, emergency services, violence prevention, and environmental stewardship.
AmeriCorps Tackles America’s Toughest Problems, Expands Opportunity and Builds Lifelong Civic Leaders, and is a Leading Driver of Social Innovation and Nonprofit Success
- Service is a Solution: More than 75,000 AmeriCorps members improve the lives of millions of our most vulnerable citizens each year. Since 1994, 900,000 individuals have served as AmeriCorps members. AmeriCorps’ impacts are proven and measurable.
- Expanding Educational Opportunity: AmeriCorps members have earned more than $2.8 billion in Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards since 1994, helping hundreds of thousands of AmeriCorps alums pay for college.
- Building Community Leaders: An AmeriCorps longitudinal study found that AmeriCorpsalumsare more attached to their communities, aware of community challenges, and empowered to address them.
- Strengthening Nonprofits: AmeriCorps members help tens of thousands of faith-based and community groups expand services, build capacity, raise funds, develop new partnerships, and create innovative, sustainable programs.
- Mobilizing volunteers. AmeriCorps is a powerful catalyst and force-multiplier for community volunteering. Last year AmeriCorps members recruited, trained, and supervised more than 4 million community volunteers for the organizations they serve.